Tuesday, June 29, 2010

For Those K-9 Fans

While many of you know - we also raise and show German Shepherds. we got a copy of this video and watched it tonight. It was really really good. A documentary on the work these dogs do.

I can't say enough about how much dogs do for us - military, police, herding, protection, tracking, search & rescue, drug detection, bomb detection, seeing eye, hearing ear, mobility assistance, seizure detection, autism spectrum assistance and I am sure there are at least a dozen more "professions" I am leaving out. But just wanted to share - if you get a chance to get this video or view it, I think it is well worth your time.

And if you want a good read, and a good cry I highly recommend John Burnam's book Dog Tags of Courage. I was privileged to meet the man in 2008 during  the Phoenix Veteran's Day Parade our family participates in yearly - The War Dog Memorial Entry as supported by Jim Frost a former Vietnam K-9 Handler. Amazing experience when a grizzled veteran breaks down in tears and reaches down and encompasses your dog. It is humbling - breath taking - and never to be forgotten.  I have been honored beyond words when this has happened to us during the course of the parade not just once but 2 times. And another former handler had never had another dog, or handled another dog since he was forced to leave his behind "in country" until he was loaned one of our Shepherds to walk the parade route with.  He was in tears that first parade, and so were we. 

A crucial part of our history that should never be forgotten. Again - I heartily encourage all to obtain a copy and read it.

Ask me again why I am dedicated to the German Shepherd.

No comments:

Post a Comment